> No, it is just for terminals themselves.

I know, by "application" I meant the terminal apps themselves not the apps
that run inside them as you pointed out. At the time I thought it could be
a little troublesome, but the more I've looked into it the more I'm
thinking patching install scripts to symlink a desktop file as you
specified is a pretty clean way to do it.

I think I also agree about the MIME types being a poor idea. Terminals
differ so much from other handlers in the way that you pointed out that it
would really be an abuse of the MIME system.

One last point to keep in mind: I think it would be wonderful if your spec
(or whatever is decided upon) could be easily expanded to include other
types of default applications unsuitable to the MINE system. For example,
many keyboards have a calculator function button that I believe is hard
coded to use GNOME's calculator for me at the moment. Similar apps that
don't necessarily handle a single type of file but reasonably call for a
default choice could maybe share the same spec? Might be a little out of
scope, though. You tell me.