Hey,

Credit goes to Boris (CC-ed) for figuring out how to fix this.

I was doing:

./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-systemd
make -j8
cd dist;./install.sh;)
reboot

and to my surprise it would hang on
Starting Terminate Plymouth Boot Screen"...

with a bunch of 'FAILED'.

What I hadn't realized is that Fedora has removed the
/var/run and is now using /run. But the dist/install
has the /var/run directory (dist/install/var/run/) in it -
and that seems to make everything blow up as it erase
the original symlink:

[konrad@x230 /]$ ls -al /var/run
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 6 Oct  5 02:08 /var/run -> ../run

with its own directory which has nothing to do with /run - and
which only has 'xen' and 'xenstored' in it (albeit at bootup things
do seem to be created there - but they are not in sync with things in
/run).

The "Fix" is to boot with 'init=/bin/bash' on Linux command line and do:

mount / -o remount,rw
rm -rf /var/run
mkdir /run/xen
mkdir /run/xenstored
ln -sf /run /var/run

And then everything works again.

A bit of light builds shows that RELEASE-4.7.0
does not have an dist/install/var/run but
RELEASE-4.8.0 and higher does.

And I am not exactly sure which commit does this and
how to go around to auto-detect this?