On 02/03/18 16:18, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 02.03.18 at 17:04, <andrew.coop...@citrix.com> wrote:
The proper way to do this is indeed by a nominated (guest) physical
address, at which point Xen can make all/any updates at times of its
choosing, and the guests pagetable/permissions state at an instantaneous
moment don't matter.

If you've got time to do this, then please do.  It will be a definite
improvement.

Just to be avoid unnecessary effort in the wrong direction: I don't
think you can alter the current interface. You'd have to add a new
one, and we could then deprecate (but never abandon) the current
one.

I was only planning to store the guest physical address rather than the virtual address as we do today. Is that considered as an alteration of the current interface?

In other words, the current version (e.g store virtual address) is just broken and going to be worst with KPTI kernel. I can't see how this could ever work properly on OS with different set of page-tables.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall