Hi,

> [...]
>>> watchdog. So I think it would make more sense if this is not exposed to
>>> dom0 (even if Xen is doing nothing with it).
>>>
>>> Can you try to hide the SMCs and check if dom0 still behave properly?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>> This SMC manages a hardware watchdog, if it's not pinged within a
>> specific interval the entire board resets.
>
> Do you know what's the default interval? Is it large enough so Xen + dom0 can
> boot (at least up to when the watchdog driver is initialized)?
>
>> If I block the SMCs the watchdog driver in Dom0 will fail to ping the
>> watchdog, triggering a board reset because the system looks to have
>> become unresponsive. The reason this patch set started is because we
>> couldn't ping the watchdog when running with Xen.
>> In our specific system the bootloader enables the watchdog as early as
>> possible so that we can get watchdog protection for as much of the boot
>> as we possibly can.
>> So, if we are to block the SMC from Dom0, then Xen needs to take over
>> the pinging. It could be implemented similarly to the NMI watchdog,
>> except that the system will reset if the ping is missed rather than
>> backtrace.
>> It would also mean that Xen will get a whole watchdog driver-category
>> due to the watchdog being vendor and sometimes even SoC specific when it
>> comes to Arm.
>> My understanding of the domain watchdog code is that today the domain
>> needs to call SCHEDOP_watchdog at least once to start the watchdog
>> timer. Since watchdog protection through the whole boot process is
>> desirable we'd need some core changes, such as an option to start the
>> domain watchdog on init. >
>> It's quite a big change to make
>
> For clarification, above you seem to mention two changes:
>
> 1) Allow Xen to use the HW watchdog
> 2) Allow the domain to use the watchdog early
>
> I am assuming by big change, you are referring to 2?
>
> , while I am not against doing it if it
>> makes sense, I now wonder if Xen should manage hardware watchdogs.
>> Looking at the domain watchdog code it looks like if a domain does not
>> get enough execution time, the watchdog will not be pinged enough and
>> the guest will be reset. So either watchdog approach requires Dom0 to
>> get execution time. Dom0 also needs to service all the PV backends it's
>> responsible for. I'm not sure it's valuable to add another layer of
>> watchdog for this scenario as the end result (checking that the entire
>> system works) is achieved without it as well.
>> So, before I try to find the time to make a proposal for moving the
>> hardware watchdog bit to Xen, do we really want it?
>
> Thanks for the details. Given that the watchdog is enabled by the bootloader,
> I think we want Xen to drive the watchdog for two reasons:
> 1) In true dom0less environment, dom0 would not exist
> 2) You are relying on Xen + Dom0 to boot (or at least enough to get the
> watchdog working) within the watchdog interval.

Definitely we need to consider the case where there is no Dom0.

I think there are in fact 3 different use cases here:
- watchdog fully driven in a domain (dom0 or another): would work if it is
expected
  that Xen + Domain boot time is under the watchdog initial refresh rate. I
think this
  could make sense on some applications where your system depends on a specific
  domain to be properly booted to work. This would require an initial refresh
time
  configurable in the boot loader probably.
- watchdog fully driven by Xen. One might want to just make sure the hypervisor
is alive.
- hybrid model where the watchdog is driven by Xen until a domain comes up to
drive it.
  This could make sense to relax the stress on boot time but would raise the
question of
   what should be done if the domain dies. This is also kind of complex as Xen
should stop
   refreshing the watchdog when a domain starts doing it (might require a trap
and emulate
   initially that is then mapped directly to a domain). I am not completely
sure this makes sense.

Regards
Bertrand