On Tue May 7, 2024 at 4:16 PM UTC, Sean Christopherson wrote:
> > If yes, that would indeed require a *lot* of work for something we're not
> > sure will be accepted later on.
>
> Yes and no.  The AWS folks are pursuing VSM support in KVM+QEMU, and SVSM
> support
> is trending toward the paired VM+vCPU model.  IMO, it's entirely feasible to
> design KVM support such that much of the development load can be shared
> between
> the projects.  And having 2+ use cases for a feature (set) makes it _much_
> more
> likely that the feature(s) will be accepted.

Since Sean mentioned our VSM efforts, a small update. We were able to
validate the concept of one KVM VM per VTL as discussed in LPC. Right
now only for single CPU guests, but are in the late stages of bringing
up MP support. The resulting KVM code is small, and most will be
uncontroversial (I hope). If other obligations allow it, we plan on
having something suitable for review in the coming months.

Our implementation aims to implement all the VSM spec necessary to run
with Microsoft Credential Guard. But note that some aspects necessary
for HVCI are not covered, especially the ones that depend on MBEC
support, or some categories of secure intercepts.

Development happens
https://github.com/vianpl/{linux,qemu,kvm-unit-tests} and the vsm-next
branch, but I'd advice against looking into it until we add some order
to the rework. Regardless, feel free to get in touch.

Nicolas