On Tue, 2024-05-14 at 12:13 +0100, Julien Grall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (+ Oleksii as the release manager)
>
> Chiming into the discussion as there seems there is disagreement.
>
> On 14/05/2024 11:03, Jan Beulich wrote:

> > > You tried defending breaking a utility with "well it shouldn't
> > > exist then".
> > >
> > > You don't have a leg to stand on, and two maintainers of relevant
> > > subsystems here just got tired of bullshit being presented in
> > > place of
> > > any credible argument for having done the change in the way you
> > > did.
> >
> > Please can you finally get into the habit of not sending rude
> > replies?
> >
> > > The correct response was "Sorry I broke things.  Lets revert this
> > > for
> > > now to unbreak, and I'll see about reworking it to not
> > > intentionally
> > > subvert Xen's security mechanism".
> >
> > I'm sorry, but I didn't break things. I made things more consistent
> > with
> > the earlier change, as pointed out before: With your revert,
> > evtchn_status() is now (again) inconsistent with e.g.
> > evtchn_send(). If
> > you were serious about this being something that needs leaving to
> > XSM,
> > you'd have adjusted such further uses of consumer_is_xen() as well.
> > But
> > you aren't. You're merely insisting on lsevtchn needing to continue
> > work in a way it should never have worked, with a patch to improve
> > the
> > situation already pending.
> >
> > Just to state a very basic principle here again: Xen-internal event
> > channels ought to either be fully under XSM control when it comes
> > domains attempting to access them (in whichever way), or they
> > should
> > truly be Xen-internal, with access uniformly prevented. To me the
> > former option simply makes very little sense.
>
> I agree we need consistency on how we handle security policy event
> channel. Although, I don't have a strong opinion on which way to go.
>
> For the commit message, it is not entirely clear what "broke
> lseventch
> in dom0" really mean. Is it lsevtchn would not stop or it will just
> not
> display the event channel?
>
> If the former, isn't a sign that the tool needs to be harden a bit
> more?
> If the latter, then I would argue that consistency for the XSM policy
> is
> more important than displaying the event channel for now (the patch
> was
> also committed 3 years ago...).
>
> So I would vote for a revert and, if desired, replacing with a patch
> that would change the XSM policy consistently. Alternatively, the
> consistency should be a blocker for Xen 4.19.
Sorry for the delayed response.

I am not deeply familiar with the technical details surrounding XSM,
but if I understand Daniel's point correctly, the original change
violates the access control framework. This suggests to me that the
revert should be merged.

However, I have a question: if we merge this revert, does it mean that
using channels a user ( domain ) will be able to get information about
certain events such as EVTCHNSTAT_unbound, EVTCHNSTAT_interdomain,
EVTCHNSTAT_pirq, EVTCHNSTAT_virq, and EVTCHNSTAT_IPI (based on the code
of lseventch.c)? Is this information really so critical that it cannot
be exposed for some time until a patch that changes the XSM policy
consistently is provided and merged?

If this information is indeed critical and should not be exposed, I
think we can consider Daniel's suggestion to add a check to the dummy
XSM policy as a solution.

~ Oleksii