On 20/08/18 18:01, Hans van Kranenburg wrote:
> On 08/17/2018 06:09 AM, Juergen Gross wrote:
>> On 17/08/18 00:33, Andy Smith wrote:
>>> Hi Juergen,
>>>
>>> [...]
>>> If so, could the final removal of 32-bit PV in the Linux kernel be
>>> held off until there is:
>>>
>>> 1) a kernel shipping in Debian stable, Ubuntu LTS and CentOS that
>>>    boots under PVH, and;
>>>
>>> 2) support in grub2 so I can build a grub image that boots under
>>>    PVH?
>>
>> I think this is a reasonable request.
>>
>>> If grub PVH support is not going to happen, what is the roadmap for
>>> user-specified guest kernels under PVH?
>>
>> I have a patch series lying around for grub2 PVH support. It requires
>> some rework and another kernel enhancement. I'll try to resume work on
>> the patches soon.
>
> +1, Yes please!
>
> Do I understand correctly ('another kernel enhancement') that you found
> more things which need to be done than the 32-bit memory map limitation
> issue at the grub side?

The kernel is still lacking support for handing over RSDP address from
grub to the kernel. The initial patches adding that haven't been taken
as several distributions are shipping a patched grub2 which is breaking
the grub/kernel boot protocol by clobbering kernel data.

I need to extend that protocol to detect such a clobbering in order to
be able to tell the difference between grub having set a new parameter
or just written garbage to it.

Juergen