On 09/26/2018 06:22 PM, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> On 26/09/18 17:47, George Dunlap wrote:
>> From: Isaila Alexandru <aisa...@bitdefender.com>
>>
>> This patch adds access control for NPT mode.
>>
>> There aren’t enough extra bits to store the access rights in the NPT p2m
>> table, so we add a radix tree to store extra information.
>
> I'm sorry to re-open this argument, but why?
>
> ISTR there being some argument based on pagetable sharing with the
> IOMMU, but that doesn't work at the moment and can't reasonably be made
> to work.  For one, attempting to use pt sharing will break as soon as
> you try and DMA to a mapped grant.
>
> I'm disinclined to let a broken vestigial feature get in the way of real
> improvements.
>
> Beyond that, an NPT PTE has basically the same number of software
> available bits as an EPT PTE.
>
> Am I missing anything?

Wow -- looks like IOMMU/p2m sharing has been disabled unconditionally
since 2014.  If nobody has complained since then, that seems like a good
enough reason to me to rip it out.

Suravee / Brian / Boris -- any opinions?

The main reason to go with the 'extra bits' solution rather than the
'rip out iommu/p2m sharing' solution is because people have been
prognosticating for years that we would be running out of bits and need
more at some point in the future.  I thought Paul, for instance, might
have a use for the extra bits.  But I'm happy to wait until such time as
we need it and then fish this patch out of the mail archives.

 -George