On 31/07/2019 17:58, Dario Faggioli wrote:
> The openSUSE distribution comes in two flavours: Leap, which is
> non-rolling, and released annualy, and Tumbleweed, which is rolling.
>
> In general, they are quite similar, but the versions of the software
> they ship can be significantly different. As it is easy to imagine,
> Tumbleweed, being rolling, has much more recent and updated packages.
>
> Actually, Tumbleweed often ships the most updated releases of various
> software and projects, among many distribution around.
>
> For instance, right now, Tumbleweed has gcc 9.1.1. Fedora Rawhide also
> seems to have 9.1.1, while Fedora 30 has 9.0.1. Debian Unstable and
> Ubuntu Disco both have 8.3.0, AFAICT.
>
> Of course, it's not at all like "the more updated the better", or
> anything like that! It's just that I see some value in having, as a part
> of our CI:
> - more diversity, in terms of versions of the packages/software we try
>   to build Xen with and against;
> - a "bleeding edge" environment, in order to catch, or at least be
>   aware of, build issues with latest compilers and/or when linking
>   against the latest version of this and that library.
>
> Interestingly, in the past couple of days, a few build issues of Xen,
> qemu-xen and ipxe (at the commit that we were checking out) with gcc
> 9.1.1 where discovered and fixed. And --at least as far as the ones
> I've reported/fixed-- I found about them while building Xen in
> openSUSE Tumbleweed (while working on this patch series :-D ).
>
> Happy to hear what people think about all this. :-)
>
> Oh, BTW, apart from adding the Tumbleweed dockerfile and CI jobs, the
> series also does some minor tweaking of the already present openSUSE
> Leap dockerfile (in patch 1).
>
> Thanks and Regards.
> ---
> Dario Faggioli (3):
>       automation: try to keep openSUSE Leap image a little smaller

I've pushed patch 1, and refreshed the leap container.

I have also pushed a tumbleweed container, but the build is currently
failing in Qemu.

https://gitlab.com/xen-project/people/andyhhp/xen/-/jobs/265301303

I have also pushed patch 2, because that is the dockerfile which matches
the current container.  However, I won't push patch 3 (adding it into
CI) until the build errors are resolved.

~Andrew