On 13/11/2019 14:42, Jan Beulich wrote:
> On 13.11.2019 12:55, osstest service owner wrote:
>> flight 144059 xen-4.12-testing real [real]
>> http://logs.test-lab.xenproject.org/osstest/logs/144059/
>>
>> Regressions :-(
>>
>> Tests which did not succeed and are blocking,
>> including tests which could not be run:
>>  test-amd64-amd64-qemuu-nested-intel 17 debian-hvm-install/l1/l2 fail REGR.
>> vs. 144035
> From looking at this some I get the impression that the L2 guest
> is busy-waiting in its boot loader. Seeing that the same test
> also failed for 4.11, it doesn't seem entirely impossible that
> the fixes for the two XSAs have caused a regression here. Any
> other thoughts / insights anyone?

OSSTest has no hardware which is impacted by 305, so I'm fairly
confident ruling that out.  (For affected hardware, it is only boot-time
changes.)

(XEN) CPU Vendor: Intel, Family 6 (0x6), Model 60 (0x3c), Stepping 3
(raw 000306c3)

This is a Haswell box, so is impacted by 304.  (Its actually the same
CPU as my main dev box so has had a *lot* of testing in this area...)

L0 reports:

(XEN) VMX: Disabling executable EPT superpages due to CVE-2018-12207

as expected.

L1 should find that it is virtualised and turn off the mitigation, but
we don't get that far during boot.  I can't see how the nested-virt
aspect would be relevant at this point, so I can't reason about what
might have gone wrong.

~Andrew