On 20/01/2020 10:01, Jan Beulich wrote:
> On 17.01.2020 17:44, Sergey Dyasli wrote:
>> v2 --> v3:
>> - Remove hvmloader filtering
>
> Why? Seeing the prior discussion, how about adding XENVER_denied to
> return the "denied" string, allowing components which want to filter
> to know exactly what to look for? And then re-add the filtering you
> had? (The help text of the config option should then perhaps be
> extended to make very clear that the chosen string should not match
> anything that could potentially be returned by any of the XENVER_
> sub-ops.)

I had the following reasoning:

1. Most real-world users would set CONFIG_XSM_DENIED_STRING="" anyway.

2. Filtering in DMI tables is not a complete solution, since denied
string leaks elsewhere through the hypercall (PV guests, sysfs, driver
logs) as Andrew has pointed out in the previous discussion.

On the other hand, SMBios filtering slightly improves the situation for
HVM domains, so I can return it if maintainers find it worthy.

--
Thanks,
Sergey