This patch set is for the next merge window.
They are just enhancements of the already merged patches or ia64 porting
from x86 paravirt techniques and that their quality is enough for merge.
This patch set is for binary patch optimization for paravirt_ops which
depends on the patch series I sent out, ia64/pv_ops, xen:
The binary patch optimization is important on native case because
the paravirt_ops overhead can be reduced by converting indirect
call into in-place execution or direct call.
The patch series does
- The first patch imports helper functions which themselves doesn't
- The second patch replaces the indirect function calls with a special
call written in gcc extended inline asm and introduces native methods.
- The third patch introduces binary patch for kernel modules.
- The forth patch suppress false positive warnings which were caused by
the previous patches.
- The last patch implements xen methods.
For convenience the working full source is available from
For the status of this patch series
changes from take 3:
changes from take 2:
- removed trivial compilation error depending on .config
changes from take 1:
- no essential change from the last one
- rebased to 2.6.28-rc8
- don't use cmp_inst_t. define and use ia64_inst_t, instead.
- improve some assebmly code.
arch/ia64/include/asm/intrinsics.h | 6 +-
arch/ia64/include/asm/module.h | 6 +
arch/ia64/include/asm/paravirt.h | 8 +
arch/ia64/include/asm/paravirt_patch.h | 143 +++++++
arch/ia64/include/asm/paravirt_privop.h | 347 ++++++++++++++++-
arch/ia64/include/asm/xen/privop.h | 4 +
arch/ia64/kernel/Makefile | 3 +-
arch/ia64/kernel/efi.c | 1 +
arch/ia64/kernel/module.c | 32 ++
arch/ia64/kernel/paravirt.c | 520 ++++++++++++++++++++++++-
arch/ia64/kernel/paravirt_patch.c | 514 ++++++++++++++++++++++++
arch/ia64/kernel/paravirtentry.S | 99 ++++-
arch/ia64/kernel/setup.c | 2 +
arch/ia64/kernel/vmlinux.lds.S | 24 ++
arch/ia64/kvm/vtlb.c | 2 +
arch/ia64/xen/hypercall.S | 2 +
arch/ia64/xen/xen_pv_ops.c | 665 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
17 files changed, 2353 insertions(+), 25 deletions(-)
Xen-ia64-devel mailing list