The problem is they won't start dying, they were made not to - it was meant
to support what (mission) critical business is ... but I am not here for
that.

I would like to hear, people, what do you think the future of commercial
linux distros on Itanium is one hand, and on the other - what is the future
of Xen in commercial distros ?
Is Xen going to be supported on Suse on Itanium in future ?
What #$%&! is going on ?

Red Hat is the most respectable player having linux as business model, and
so to say it is the leader in open source community. But it has given
confusing signals about Xen, and now Itanium. I should've understood better
what happened with cowboyhat linux and fedora ... nevertheless, what I have
is a comitted software vendor like SAP who supports open source (as much a
proprietary one can - SAP supports officially trend of moving from Unix to
Linux), and Oracle does, too (with Sun and human power involved in Xen on
ia64 additionally) - it is not a small thing to have official support for
Xen or KVM virtualization by a big name such as SAP, and many commercial
distros (they have to be like that because of the nature of the business)
including Red Hat and Suse. Now I find that HP supports on their highly
competitive BladeSystem matrix control software only VMWare, Hyper-V and
XenServer - KVM and Xen not even announced, while Red Hat is involved in
making Insight Orchestration Designer templates for RHEL, JBoss and stuff
(something like virtual appliances, but story is bigger than that) but not
with RHEV ?!?! Is that the price of abandoning Xen in RHEL6 (HP treats that
as a clear signal), and leaving Itanium after that was a bit scary ... I've
been browsing through SAP sd2tier, TPC-C and TPC-H benchmarks and now I am
even more convinced that something wrong is going on. I can understand that
market share is important, but different vendors (including SAP) obviously
have different perspectives (Intel has more or less equal income from ia64
and non-ia64, so it is here to stay !!!), and I won't tell now how it
actually looks like to me ... I think that HP lost good competitors, but
above all, I am afraid that important part of open source community is in a
bigger loss ... __"I feel blue"__ ...

ZP.

PS.

Just look what I have here, tell me what you think, and more is coming on
very soon:

      http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/17592