Le Mardi 12 Septembre 2006 20:37, Hollis Blanchard a écrit :
> Hi Tristan, I've just implemented your "inline" handle idea.
>
> The Xen changes are committed to xenppc-unstable.hg . In Xen,
> architectures need to provide:
> - XENCOMM_INLINE_FLAG in arch-foo.h
> - paddr_to_maddr(). I'm open to alternative names, but a standard
> function seems useful outside xencomm. (I wish we had one for Linux.)
> - asm/guest_access.h that just #includes xen/xencomm.h
>
> Once you have IA64-specific implementations for the above, I will submit
> the whole thing to xen-devel. (Note that Linux doesn't actually have to
> use it right now; it won't break anything.)
>
> The Linux are committed to linux-ppc-2.6.hg . I think for Linux
> architectures just need to supply:
> - XENCOMM_INLINE_FLAG in arch-foo.h
> - xencomm_vtop()
>
> I did end up sticking with a separate xencomm_create_inline() function
> because inline handles aren't kernel-accessible pointers, yet normal
> handles are. It does also simplify the code not to have to deal with
> free, as you pointed out. However, notice the problem in
> HYPERVISOR_xen_version(). :(
>
> We still need to figure out how to share
> arch/powerpc/platforms/xen/hcall.c . If you have any changes you need
> for IA64, please send them to me as individual patches so I can
> incrementally merge them into linux-ppc-2.6.hg. (That will make it much
> easier to understand than the patches you sent out before.)
>
> There's no rush; this code is working fine for PowerPC so I won't worry
> about IA64 unless/until you have time for it.
Hi,

sorry for the late reply.  I am just back from holidays.

After more work, inline xencomm is not that magic: it doesn't work for modules
which are loaded in virtual memory.  So I have to use mini xencomm at least
for modules.

I have have to check performances.  If mini xencomm is good compared to
inline, we could drop inline.

We are really converging!

Tristan.