Doron Shiloach/Watson/IBM wrote on 12/08/2006 10:16:29 AM:

> >> Please try executing "/sbin/poweroff" manually on the DomU and
> see if that works.
>
> (none):/ # /sbin/poweroff
> WARNING: could not determine runlevel - doing soft poweroff
>   (it's better to use shutdown instead of poweroff from the command line)
> shutdown: /dev/initctl: No such file or directory
> init: /dev/initctl: No such file or directory
>
> I am using a custom init script with this domU, which from what you
> wrote previously, seems to not be creating a "real" init process,
> preventing the xm shutdown from working.

Correct!

> What do you mean by a "real" init process?
All *nix OSes have an init process PID 1, this is tha ancestor of all
processes, it is the first program the the kernel runs.
Typically the first program is /sbin/init,  the role of this program is to
run init scripts (and take in orphan processes, but thats another story)
When the OS switches to several "run-levels" including "power-off" that
request is communicated to the init process thru a named
pipe /dev/initctl.  /sbin/init will create this pipe if it detects that its
PID = 1.

> Is it possible for me to
shutdown command?

Not really.
Why do you need to run your own init? can't you just remove/add services
and boot into single user mode?

> As for the xm destroy, I mean that I can use the command once
> (usually) , and it works, removing that domU.
> However, when I try to use it on a second domU, the machine freezes.
>From what I understand, it is preferable to use the "shutdown"
> command, so this is a secondary issue, for me at least..

Hmm.. I'd like to see this if you ever get it on a VNC please ST me
-JX..

> Thanks,
>
> Doron Shiloach
>
> Jimi Xenidis/Watson/IBM
> 12/07/2006 04:18 PM

> Doron Shiloach/Watson/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> cc
>
> David M Daly/Watson/[EMAIL PROTECTED], Dilma M Da silva/Watson/[EMAIL
> PROTECTED],
> Maged Michael/Watson/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Subject
>
> Re: shutdown/destroy domU problem
>
> Doron,
> First, these are awesome questions for the mailing list  and I wish
> you would use it, I've asked for this time and time again.
> Second, when you say "xm shutdown" this sends a message to the DomU
> to execute the program "/sbin/poweroff", if this command does not
> work then you will never shut down.  Please try executing
> "/sbin/poweroff" manually on the DomU and see if that works.  For
> example, if I try on one of our NFSROOT images with "init=/bin/sh"
> the following happens:
> 9:/# /sbin/poweroff
> Broadcast message from root (console) (Wed Dec 31 19:02:07 1969):
> The system is going down for system halt NOW!
> shutdown: timeout opening/writing control channel /dev/initctl
> init: timeout opening/writing control channel /dev/initctl
> 9:/#:
> and the DomU does not shut down because there is no "real" init
> process to create the /dev/intctl pipe, this is why I cannot "xm
> shutdown" this domain.
> If I boot the same thing but this time I do not define "init" but
> add " S " to the kernel parameters, init runs (but places be in
> single user mode) and now /sbin/poweroff runs if I run it manually
> or if I run it from XM.
>
> Third, I have _never_ had a problem with "xm destroy" and it works
> instantly for me and I _hate_ saying "for me".
> What do you mean "but using it a second time"?
> The system freezing usually indicates that a DomU has panic()ed,
> this is currently an ourstanding bug in XenPPC but is usually only
> seen on UP versions.  It would be news to me to see this on an SMP
system.

> thank you
> http://lists.xensource.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/xen-ppc-devel
>
> -JX
>

> Doron Shiloach/Watson/IBM
> 12/07/06 11:55 AM

> Jimi Xenidis/Watson/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> cc
>
> Dilma M Da silva/Watson/[EMAIL PROTECTED], David M Daly/Watson/[EMAIL
> PROTECTED],
> Maged Michael/Watson/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Subject
>
> shutdown/destroy domU problem
>
> Hi Jimi,
>
> I'm having problems with the shutdown/destroy domU functionality
> with the latest version of Xen that David released.
> Here are the versions for Xen (top) and Linux (bottom) that we are using.
>
> cso85:~/xen-maria-12-4/xen-ppc # hg tip
tag: tip
19:11:02 2006 -0500
Managment
> workaround in the code as well
>
> so85:~/xen-maria-12-4/linux/linux-xen-ppc # hg tip
33309:f0981398b745
Mon Nov 27 13:10:34 2006 -0500

> In short, the shutdown feature does not work properly; after issuing
shutdown domUid, the xm list still shows the domU present.>