On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 11:21 -0700, Yoder Stuart-B08248 wrote:
> Is paravirt_ops an X86 thing only?  I'm assuming this ops
> structure in Linux was to enable VMware and Xen to share a
> common OS-to-hypervisor interface.

Correct.

> On Linux/powerpc we don't need this because we don't have competing
> hypervisors.  Correct?

Actually we do have competing hypervisors: pSeries, iSeries, Xen, and of
course bare metal. We have already solved this problem though, since we
have function pointers for platform-specific operations like
"hpte_insert".

In fact we solved it so well, paravirt_ops was modeled on PowerPC's
struct machdep_calls. x86 is playing catchup here.

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center