> I have built what may be my last Fedora 12 kernel
> (2.6.32.26-174.2.xendom0.fc12) as Fedora 12 EOLs today (this is the same
> Fedora patch level as the official 2.6.32.26-175.fc12 kernel which has
> just been released). It is available at
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=2637740 and the
> repository http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/myoung/dom0-kernel/
> and includes a crash on exit fix. I haven't decided whether I am going to
> build any more 2.6.32.x kernels, I am going to continue building 2.6.37
> kernels but these aren't ready for full dom0 use yet.

Moving forward and for the purposes of Fedora 15 development, can we get
both patched 2.7.37/38 kernels that support DomU and raw upstream
kernels? Or does xen/next-2.6.27 not have the requisite features yet
anyway?

This kernel works as expected with one exception. The exception has been
a nagging problem, but I have not reported it because 1) we are using
a research OS in DomU and 2) we are not clear if the problem is in our
code, Linux or Xen. But, here are the symptoms:

Occasionally (this seems to correlate to network activity between Dom0
and DomU), the system becomes unresponsive. I am running the Michael
Young kernel at runlevel 3 within Dom0 (very little memory used by
applications). Our OS runs in DomU and is constrained to 128MB of
memory. When the system is unresponsive, typing a character into a
Dom0 console take 2-5 seconds to appear on the screen. Likewise, other
activity is extremely slow. As I mentioned, we have not been able to
isolate where the problem is. Running, for example, an OpenWrt Linux
build in DomU does not have this problem.

> For those of you that are trying 2.6.37, I have built a vanilla 2.6.37-rc4
> kernel (no additional xen patches) at
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=2635700

This kernel is the first from the 37/38 series that I have tested since
I tested the initial upstream Xen accept. This seems to work within my
expectations with two exceptions:

1. There are some warning related to nouveaufb. When I have time I will
investigate a bit more, but 2.6.32 never really worked right for me with
the nouveau drivers either.

2. On the positive side, it seems that the console back-end driver
works. When I booted a DomU OS I received console messages. This surprised
me. Soon after, Xen was unable to set up the networking for DomU, which
is what I expected.

Dom0 continued to operate fine even though loading an OS in DomU failed.

--
Mike

:wq