On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 10:05 AM, M A Young <m.a.yo...@durham.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 4 May 2012, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
>
>  On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 09:36:49AM -0400, Gordon McLellan wrote:
>>

>>> I'm going to buy a serial card for this machine so I can do the serial
>>> console on Xen and get more information. But so far, so good!
>>>

>> You can try to do (on Xen) 'console=vga  vga=text-80x50 guest_loglvl=all
>> loglvl=all noreboot"
>> and on the Linux command line: "console=hvc0 earlyprintk=xen loglevel=8
>> debug radeon.modeset=0 radeon.modeset=0"
>>
>> That should give you some idea where it is crashing and take a photo.
>>

> If you are capturing logging with a photo, it can be helpful to add a
> boot_delay parameter eg. boot_delay=100 to the kernel line, particularly if
> the interesting lines scroll off the top of the screen before you can
> capture them. It does slow the boot down considerably though so you may
> need to adjust the parameter to get the balance right between it being slow
> enough to capture without taking ages to get to the crash.
>
>        Michael Young

Thank you for the tips everyone!   I will retest the FC17 beta as soon as
find another hard drive... having some fun with VT-d right now.

I've been trying vt-d on every new machine I've built or come across at
work, and finally arrived on a home machine that does it, without having to
run a "server" grade mobo and cpu (pretty close though).

Specs:
Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E cpu 4 core, 8 thread
Asus Sabertooth x79 main board
32gb ddr3-1600 ram
Radeon HD7970 graphics adapter

I'll post up my vt-d success story in a separate thread, but I was grinning
ear to ear when it first started working.

Gordon