On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 6:12 PM, M A Young <m.a.yo...@durham.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Oct 2012, Gordon McLellan wrote:
>
>  I'm having a decent amount of trouble getting pciback to behave the way
>> I'd
>> like it to.
>> Originally I found xen-pciback was compiled as a module and not directly
>> into the kernel, ruling out use of the boot-time argument
>> xen-pciback.hide=(blah) ... so I recompiled my kernel, incluging pciback
>> directly into the kernel.
>>

> Could you pass the option to the module by creating a file in
> /etc/modprobe.d/ to supply the options to the module (the modprobe.conf
> explains the format)? I think those files get copied over to the initramfs
> when you install a kernel so they should still be used even if the module
> is loaded early in the boot process.
>
> Incidentally, you seem to be using xen-pciback in one place and pciback in
> another. With a recent Fedora based kernel I would expect you would need to
> use xen-pciback throughout.
>
>         Michael Young

Michael,

Thank you for the tips.  I made sure I specified xen-pciback instead of the
older pciback ... not really sure which line in the configuration it goes
on in /etc/default/grub - leaving it on the XEN line for now.  I created
/etc/modprobe.d/xen-pciback.conf to also reflect the same:

options xen-pciback
hide='(0000:00:1a.0)(0000:00:1b.0)(0000:00:1d.0)(0000:01:00.0)(0000:01:00.1)(0000:00:0b.0)'

after making these changes, I updated the grub config file and rebooted.
 After reboot, none of the devices are hidden from dom0.  I can forcibly
unbind them from dom0 with a script, but that seems messy and some of the
pci devices don't seem to like it (sata controller for example)

Any suggestions?

Gordon