Hello,

I have a Linux 3.2 VM panicking when trying to boot (HVM) on Xen.

I think this is related to the virtual storage controller that is presented
to the VM.

The qcow2 image runs fine on KVM, but on Xen panics during boot with "VFS:
Cannot open root device "(null)" or unknown-block(0,0)".

Both the KVM and Xen hosts are running stock Fedora 23, and virt-manager
was used to configure both VMs.

To troubleshoot, I cycled the guest image through every permutation of disk
type (IDE, SCSI, SATA) using virt-manager on both KVM and Xen.  Please see
below for a difference between Xen and KVM.

---

On Xen, the guest's boot menu reports the following for each disk type:

SATA disk:
lsi 00:02.0 1:0 Drive QEMU QEMU HARDDISK 2.5+
Guest panics

SCSI disk:
lsi 00:02.0 1:0 Drive QEMU QEMU HARDDISK 2.5+
Guest panics

IDE disk:
ata0-0: QEMU HARDDISK ATA-7 Hard-Disk
Guest panics

---

On KVM, the guest's boot menu reports the following for each disk type:

SATA disk:
ACHI/0: QEMU HARDDISK ATA-7 Hard-Disk
***Guest works!

SCSI disk:
lsi 00:02.0 1:0 Drive QEMU QEMU HARDDISK 2.5+
Guest panics

IDE disk:
ata0-0: QEMU HARDDISK ATA-7 Hard-Disk
Guest panics

---

Please note the difference in the SATA disk between Xen and KVM.  As far as
I know, both are using the same version of QEMU.  Does anyone know how to
get the SATA disk to show up as an ACHI disk (instead of lsi) using
virt-manager/libvirt on Xen?

Thanks in advance!

~Micah