forgot to cc mailing list.

Note: forwarded message attached.

--- Begin Message --- Hi Brian
   Which image parameter are you expecting ?

   An Image in Xenman is just a convenient packaging for which specified the kernal and ramdisk parameters.

  Currently xenman creates a new LVM or a blank file based image and expects the image to be bootable. OR you can use an existing back end storage (populated or not) and specify other parameters through  "New Domain File"

How do you do this today ? Let me know I got this right
  -- create LVM or file base storage
  -- create file system
  -- unzip your gz file.
  -- run custom script to adjust hostname/ip (any other customizations?)
  -- create a Xen conf file. (which initrd are you using ?)
  -- And start VM.

It seems like a good requirement and we will look in to how to incorporate it in to furture releases of xenman. Need to get some more info on what other type of customizations people typically do.

 If you want to do this now, you might want to look in to creating a custom init/linuxrc file in your ramdisk (initrd). This would prepare the empty LVM or file based storage appropriately. Format (mkfs ) and then unzip/untar if necessary.  This may be a long shot.

/Jd

Brian Hays <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello,

I have read through the XenMan documentation but still have some questions regarding the Image Store. The documentation lists the components as "kernel, ramdisk, bootloader, other params" however no "image" parameter is present. What I would like to do is to have a complete template filesystem ( i.e. DebianServer.tar.gz, FedoraCore5.tar.gz, etc.) to use for new domU installs. During an install, the new LVM disk would be created, then the selected template filesystem untar'd & unzipped onto it. Can complete filesystem images be used in this way?

Also, in this scenario it would be useful to be able to specify the domU's IP address and host name at setup time and have these copied over to the new install via some per image template configs (i.e. for Debian, be able to define template files such as interfaces.cfg and hostname.cfg that would be updated with the specified ip and hostname info then copied other to the new domU's filesystem (interfaces.cfg copied to /etc/network/interfaces, and hostname.cfg copied to /etc/hostname).

Thank you,
Brian

--- End Message ---