Hi list:

I'm using convirt 2.0 + patch bundle 1 on a test environment: Debian "Lenny"
with Xen for virtualization servers; paravirtualized guests and cLVM for
shared storage.

Since I already have production virtualization environment I started my tests
importing the config files for some of our (at the moment unused) virtual
guests.  Import procedure went OK (more or less: there were some minor
problems with regards of managing white spaces and/or multiline definitions,
but nothing non-obvious).

Once the definition imported, the info page for the virtual machine will show
no info neither for "Guest OS" (which I quite of understand) nor for "Virtual
CPUs" (I don't understand this one since it's right there, on the config).

On the other hand, it seems non posible to properly "integrate" the imported
config within "standard" convirt management tools: the "edit settings" option
does nothing, so you are stuck with managing the guest by means of the "Edit
Virtual Machine Config File", both suboptimal and misleading since the option
*won't* edit the config file but the imported version within the convirt
database.

By the way, while understandable, the "import config file and manage it from
the database from then on" seems a bit like burning your ships.  Being that
convirt is basically a "stateless" management tool (which I honour as being
one of its strong points -while a bit more on the conciliation side between
known state and reality would be quite worthy) it would be very interesting
some kind of "export" button or script that would produce valid config files
for the guests in case the user wants or needs to get free from the tool
(i.e.: because a show-stopping bug, at least while the bug is resolved).
Please pay attention that all this "virtualization trend" (which is here not
to go away), specially with regards of their management tools, means "putting
all your eggs in the same basket".

As an example, I manage a "not even big" environment with 10 virtualization
servers and about 200 virtual guests: a glitch on our management tools would
literally mean taking the whole company to its knees (see, for instance my
servers) so sounded ingeneering principles and clear and safe "escape lanes"
are paramount for our tool of choice (or else get along with our current
heavy-on-management but strongly decoupled and easy to fail-proof tools and
procedures).

Cheers.