just to avoid that this issue got lost during the migration to Xenomai:

It's still not possible to compile a C++ POSIX program with CFLAGS
obtained via "xeno-config --posix-ldflags". This is due to the fact
low-level, C++-incompatible headers get included in that case.
the same scenarion works for native skin programs only by chance at the

On the long term, a clear separation between types, defines, function
prototypes, etc. needed for the user API on the one and for core
compilation on the other side is required.

Without duplicating definitions and ABI information, otherwise this
would be an absolute nightmare. Suggestions welcome.

To pick up this issue again (as it's biting me more and more...):

What precisely prevents us at the moment from removing the
-I<kernel-headers> from all userspace build steps, both Xenomai's own
libraries as well as external rt-applications?

Because a few things like asm/atomic.h and linux/bitops.h are wanted
from the target header base for compiling some bits of user-space stuff.
Not pretty, but currently needed. This is probably what needs to be
fixed, in which case the -I directive would become useless in the same

Gilles explained to me that at least asm/atomic.h is used by certain
parts like UVM (or only UVM?), and that including this header directly
from /usr/include fails on Red Hat/Fedora boxes. Are there any further
problems? At least on my SuSE 10 everything still compiles fine
(including UVM) when I remove the kernel headers from XENO_USER_CFLAGS
in configure.in.

It's not an issue with such inclusion failing/passing, it's just that it
would be incorrect to include your host distro's headers for that
purpose, since what we need here is the _target_ stuff. The fact that it
works on your box is just because 1) your host == your target arch, and
2) your host header base does not seem to implement guards preventing
the use of kernel headers in user-space context. In cross compilation
context, such inclusion would simply break the build, since it expects
the target architecture headers to be used, not the host's ones.

I see, so the problem is the pre-set link of /usr/include/asm to
/usr/include/asm-i386 in my case.

Anyway, it seems that really few code is involved so that it should be
possible to find either related headers in the standard libc or copy
that few atomic ops to Xenomai's arch-dependent includes.

Yes, fixing that need is the way to go.