while XENO_OPT_DEBUG is generally a useful switch for tracing potential
issues in the core and the skins, it also introduces high latencies via
the queue debugging feature (due to checks iterating over whole queues).

This patch introduces separate control over queue debugging so that you
can have debug checks without too dramatic slowdowns.

Maybe it's time to introduce debug levels, so that we could reuse them
in order to
add more (selectable) debug instrumentation; queue debugging could then
be given a
certain level (likely something like CONFIG_XENO_DEBUG_LEVEL=8712 for
this one...), instead of going for a specific conditional each time we
introduce new checks?

Hmm, this means someone have to define what should be printed at which
level - tend to be hard decisions... Often it is at least as much useful
to have debug groups so that specific parts can be excluded from
debugging. I'm pro such groups (one would be those queues e.g.) but
contra too many levels (2, at most 3).

Ack, selection by increasingly verbose/high-overhead groups is what I have in

At this chance, I would also suggest to introduce some ASSERT macro (per
group, per level). That could be used to instrument the core with
runtime checks. But it could also be quickly removed at compilation
time, reducing the code size (e.g. checks at the nucleus layer against
buggy skins or at RTDM layer against rough drivers).

I'm not opposed to that, if we keep the noise / signal ratio of those assertions at the reasonable low-level throughout the code, and don't use this to enforce silly parametrical checks.