Philippe Gerum wrote:
Anders Blomdell wrote:

Wolfgang Grandegger wrote:

Hello,

Dmitry Adamushko wrote:

Hi,

this is the final set of patches against the SVN trunk of 2006-02-03.

It addresses mostly remarks concerning naming (XN_ISR_ISA ->
XN_ISR_EDGE), a few cleanups and updated comments.

Functionally, the support for shared interrupts (a few flags) to the

Not directly your fault: the increasing number of return flags for IRQ
handlers makes me worry that they are used correctly. I can figure out
what they mean (not yet that clearly from the docs), but does someone
else understand all this:

- RT_INTR_HANDLED

ISR says it has handled the IRQ, and does not want any propagation to take place down the pipeline. IOW, the IRQ processing stops there.

This says that the interrupt will be ->end'ed at some later time (perhaps in the interrupt handler task)

The ISR may end the IRQ before returning, or leave it to the nucleus upon return by adding the ENABLE bit.

- RT_INTR_CHAINED

ISR says it wants the IRQ to be propagated down the pipeline. Nothing is said about the fact that the last ISR did or did not handle the IRQ locally; this is irrelevant.

This says that the interrupt will eventually be ->end'ed by some later stage in the pipeline.

- RT_INTR_ENABLE

ISR requests the interrupt dispatcher to re-enable the IRQ line upon return (cumulable with HANDLED/CHAINED).

This is wrong; we should only associate this to HANDLED; sorry.

This says that the interrupt will be ->end'ed when this interrupt handler returns.

- RT_INTR_NOINT

This new one comes from Dmitry's patch for shared IRQ support AFAICS. It would mean to continue processing the chain of handlers because the last ISR invoked was not concerned by the outstanding IRQ.

Sounds like RT_INTR_CHAINED, except that it's for the current pipeline stage?

Basically, yes.

Now for the quiz question (powerpc arch):

  1. Assume an edge triggered interrupt
  2. The RT-handler returns RT_INTR_ENABLE | RT_INTR_ENABLE (i.e. shared
     interrupt, but no problem since it's edge-triggered)

( Assuming RT_INTR_CHAINED | RT_INTR_ENABLE )

  3. Interrupt gets ->end'ed right after RT-handler has returned
  4. Linux interrupt eventually handler starts its ->end() handler:
        local_irq_save_hw(flags);
        if (!(irq_desc[irq].status & (IRQ_DISABLED | IRQ_INPROGRESS)))
          ipipe_irq_unlock(irq);

It can't occur here: hw interrupts are off after local_irq_save_hw, and unlocking some IRQ does not flush the IRQ log.

        __ipipe_std_irq_dtype[irq].end(irq);
        local_irq_restore_hw(flags);

Wouldn't this lead to a lost interrupt? Or am I overly paranoid?

This could happen, yep. Actually, this would be a possible misuse of the ISR return values. If one chains the handler Adeos-wise, it is expected to leave the IC in its original state wrt the processed interrupt. CHAINED should be seen as mutually exclusive with ENABLE.

My distinct feeling is that the return value should be a scalar and not a set!

To sum up, the valid return values are HANDLED, HANDLED | ENABLE (*), HANDLED | CHAINED and CHAINED. It's currently a set because I once thought that the "handled" indication (or lack of) could be a valuable information to gather at nucleus level to detect unhandled RT interrupts. Fact is that we currently don't use this information, though. IOW, we could indeed define some enum and have a scalar there instead of a set; or we could just leave this as a set, but whine when detecting the invalid ENABLE | CHAINED combination.

agile_programmer_mode_off();
realtime_programmer_hat_on();

I prefer programming errors to show up at compile time!

goto todays_work;

// Will never come here :-(
realtime_programmer_hat_off();
agile_programmer_mode_on();