Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> Jan Kiszka wrote:
>  > > The previous patch was also incorrect when trying to cross-compile the
>  > > Linux kernel or building it for ppc. The attached patch fixes these
>  > > issues.
>  > >
>  >
>  > Regarding your general idea, I'm just trying to imagine the new build
>  > process: you prepare and build the kernel + the userspace stuff again in
>  > one step?. But you still have to configure both parts separately.
>  >
>  > The question for me is now if this simplifies the situation expecially
>  > for beginners. So far, the separation was clearly visible, now it /may/
>  > become blurred (but I'm not a beginner...).
>  >
>  > Can you provide a rough comparision of the workflows? Sorry, but I'm too
>  > lazy, I mean busy to give it a try.
>
> configure --enable-linux-build
> make xconfig
> make install

I'm starting to like this!

> If you already have a .config file, the "make xconfig" step becomes
> optional.
>
> Note that the --enable-linux-build flag is optional too.
>
> The simplification is mainly for developping xenomai itself, not for its
> users. Because with the current scheme, after some modifications, you
> have to recompile and reinstall both the kernel-space modules and
> user-space libraries.
>
> If you let configure select the proper adeos patch, you are warned when
> the adeos patch changed in the source directory (after an svn update,
> for example), and just have to type:
> rm linux/.xenomai-prepared (Ok, this step is a bit awkward, we may find
>                             something better)
> make install
>
> And a new kernel will be built and installed, using the new adeos patch
> and the same .config.

Hmm, what about this: Instead of leaving some (probably empty)
xenomai-prepared in the kernel tree, better create an xenomai-uninstall
script in the same place. It a) can serve as an indication for a
prepared kernel and b) can be used to upgrade that tree by first running
it and then applying the usual steps on the kernel again.

I often forget to save my old adeos patch before updating the xenomai
tree, thus I will then have to download the old patch again,
reverse-apply it, and can finally run the prepare script for the update.
Automating this would be REALLY, REALLY GREAT!