Jan Kiszka wrote:
Hi,

I noticed that xnhead_extend() is not used at the moment [1], thus the
whole extent management is redundent for now. Are there plans to use it
in the future? Should we keep this feature?

I'm asking as I still have the idea in my head of breaking up the heap
service and introducing a generic allocator interface to select
different heap allocators at compile time. So, should extensions be an
optional feature of an allocator?

Keep in mind that the native API is a plain client of the abstract RTOS implemented by the nucleus, nothing more. What the native API does not use in this area would probably be useful to other clients though. For instance, the VRTX skin locally reimplements its own heap extension system that could be replaced by the nucleus one -- and should.

Jan

[1]http://www.rts.uni-hannover.de/xenomai/lxr/ident?v=SVN-trunk;i=xnheap_extend