Dmitry Adamushko wrote:

Hi Jan,

 > I have some code hanging around here which implements IRQ sharing at
 > skin level for an experimental in-house development over Xenomai. The
 > code is smart enough to register an IRQ sharing trampoline handler only
 > in case sharing is actually practiced for a specific line.

Could you be a bit more specific on what is meant by "...sharing is actually practiced for a specific line"?

To my knowledge, the matter is only about whether a certain device (driver) permits the earlier obtained irq line to be shared with other devices. i.e. a driver [1] may succeed with an irq registration request in case another driver [2] already holds this line but both [1] and [2] have specified a SA_SHIRQ flag.

 > I think it would be possible to break this out and generate a mainline
 > patch. Anyway, the question for me is where to put this best, at skin
 > (RTDM?) or at nucleus level? Both is technically feasible, but which way
 > is desired? (I would vote for the nucleus...)

If we have a policy that all the drivers should be implemented on top of RTDM, then, it can be done there. If no (and I guess so), this feature should be common and I'd vote for the nucleus.

Actually, now that we have a decent driver model built in, I will enforce the rule that all Xenomai mainline drivers must be based on RTDM, because we do need such a common platform to prevent braindamage calling interfaces hysteria. This will be a good opportunity to see how flexible the thing is when confronted to the needs of various hw and semantics.

It seems to me now, that some parts of the hal will be involved (rthal_irq_request/release()) since the nucleus itself doesn't keep track of registered irqs.

 > Jan

---
Best regards,
Dmitry