Hi,

Welcome home. Before I'm giving you an update of the things undergoing, and since JimC jumped the gun on this list, I'd like to thank all the people who wished me an happy retir^H^H^H^H^Hbirthday recently. With such a huge number of candles on my birthday cake, I'm pretty sure that each and every space tourist wandering in the ISS henceforth knows where I'm living, just by looking down to the Earth through the porthole!

Anyway, here is a short update:

- The former fusion code base has been reworked in order to switch back to the Xenomai naming scheme, and the result is now available as a SVN tree on GNA [1]. Additional features and fixes have been added very recently to this tree, like a NMI watchdog for chasing unexpected latencies using a brute force approach on x86, or udev support for the pseudo-devices (message pipes and heap). Glitches may still exist here and there, but AFAICT reading this list, things get fixed gradually.

- A new Xenomai.org website is in preparation. Bruno handles this, and we should be able to switch to it in a week or so. For the time being, we are aiming at simple and most informative contents given the short time frame and the time Bruno can devote to this task. If you have specific wishes regarding this site for the future, please post them to this list. For the time being Xenomai.org simply points at the project's workspace on GNA.

- Two mailing lists have been created: xenomai-core and xenomai-help. In short, the first one is the place where all aspects of the Xenomai project's life should be debated (including patches and bug reports). The second one handles discussions about configuration, compilation or installation of Xenomai, as well as common usage of its features and interfaces. My hope is that at some point in time, the latter becomes a coherent and searchable repository that reflects the collective experience of Xenomai users.

- The plan is to release Xenomai 2.0 on October 22 at the latest, which leaves us a few days to finish testing the new codebase. Since the changes required by the transition are "only" syntactical ones, and do not impact the documented APIs, things should stabilize reasonably fast. Until then, we clearly are in feature freeze from now on. Only obvious bug fixes will be merged.

Aside of this, I'd like that we start a discussion on this list about the matters of importance asap. There are a lot, some of them are organisational, others are purely technical. My TODO list would not even fit on my hard-drive, and since I'm not alone to have an opinion about what we should do next, how and when, it's likely that the official list would be even ten times longer than mine.

I propose that we start discussing along the following lines, going into deeper detail as needed, but in any case, please remember that we don't have infinite resources to do everything at once, and that we need to keep an organisation that fits our abilities to manage it, so let's keep it modest and efficient. If I missed some important issues, please jump in. After that initial work, we should be able to define a sensible roadmap.

- Regular automated benchmarking: What is Xenomai currently capable of, how stable is it, do we progress or regress over time and releases, arch by arch?

- Documentation effort, dissemination: I'm a potential new user, do I have some unambiguous source of information available to get my feet wet with Xenomai?

- Architecture ports: There is life beyond x86.

- Kernel ports: Is there still room for a 2.4 port?

- Configuration, building and packaging issues: Could we make this easier?

- Linux integration issues: Tools we should interface with, features we should make more seamless.

- Scalability: Is Xenomai scalable enough? What's missing?

- Drivers: Now that we have a deeply integrated port of RTDM, what's next? Field busses and other industrial gizmos anyone?

- Current interfaces: Are we happy with them?

- New skins: Any new colors for the "chameleon"?

[1] https://gna.org/svn/?group=xenomai