Hi,

I repost here the issues that I have pointed in "wish" #4523 on
the GNA interface
https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?func=detailitem&item_id=4523
which, although it is listed in the bug tracker, is *not* a
bug... ;) but there is no other place to put wishes or todo
items.

Debian offers the module-assistant package, that relies on the
kernel-package tools.
 module-assistant is both a command-line and a dialog-and-menus
based tool, to make it very easy to build and package kernel
modules.

 For instance, to build a module package from the ipw2100-source
package (for wireless cards), the single following command is
sufficient:
 $> m-a build ipw2100
 This downloads the source package, builds the modules and
packages them.
 $> m-a install ipw2100
 This command does the same and even installs the built package.

 However, the current rtai-source in Debian is the only *-source
package that cannot be built using module-assistant. This should
be corrected in the next packages.

 I propose that the package be split into 5 packages, anyway:
 - libxenomai: the libraries,
 - libxenomai-dev: the development libraries, headers and devel
tools (rtai-config, etc.),
 - libxenomai-tools: the runtime tools (rtai-load, etc.?)
 - libxenomai-doc: the docs,
 - xenomai-source: only the sources of modules; should be usable
with module-assistant.

 And the *-source package should be well integrated: the module
*.ko files should go into /lib/modules/... so that we can use
modprobe directly to load the Xenomai modules. But that should
be OK if it is compatible with module-assistant.

I have started creating a Debian package mockup (as a week-end
hobby, do no expect that I finish it ;)), following the above
remarks, and I have found other issues:

There are three licenses used in the source code:
1- GPL v2 or later:
  ./sim/**
  ./skins/rtai/*
  ./skins/posix/*
  ./skins/native/*
  ./skins/uvm/*
OK, no problem: the COPYING files are consistent with the license
headers in files.

2- GPL v2 or later with exceptions:
  ./nucleus/**
  ./include/nucleus/**
  ./skins/psos+/**
  ./skins/uitron/**
  ./skins/vrtx/**
  ./skins/vxworks/**
The license headers in files do not mention the exceptions, only
the COPYING files do. -> You should update the license headers
in files.

3- LGPL v2 or later:
  ./skins/rtai/lib/*
  ./skins/posix/lib/*
  ./skins/native/lib/*
  ./skins/uvm/lib/*
Problem: only the text for v2.1 is in the COPYING files, not for
v2 as mentioned in all license headers in files. -> You should
update the COPYING files to contain LGPL v2, or update headers
in files.

My other issue is: what are precisely the licences of every
binaries / docs / modules / ... produced by make install?
Because the right license files and doc must be provided in
binary packages.

--
Romain Lenglet