Philippe Gerum wrote:
>> Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
>>
>>> Jan Kiszka wrote:
>>>  > Hi,
>>>  >  > my colleagues and I need some hint where to continue our search
>>> for the
>>>  > cause of a weird cleanup issue:
>>>  >  > An application of our robotics framework sometimes terminates
>>> (though
>>>  > successfully) in a way that the system timer IRQ no longer arrives
>>>  > afterwards or no re-program takes place anymore. All other Linux IRQs
>>>  > are fine (Ethernet, keyboard, etc.). I cannot provide an easy test
>>> case
>>>  > yet as besides the framework some expensive gyroscope and the 16550A
>>>  > driver are involved.
>>>
>>> I observed a similar issue when xnpod_stop_timer was called when
>>> shutting down the posix skin. I assumed that the problem was that
>>> xnpod_shutdown already called xnpod_stop_timer, so xnpod_stop_timer (and
>>> in particular xnarch_stop_timer) ended up being called twice.
>>>

>> Err, sorry. Forget about my previous reply: xnarch_stop_timer is _not_
>> protected by the XNTIMED flag, but only the last part of the
>> housekeeping chores performed upon stopping the systimer are. IOW,
>> this is a latent bug, and xnpod_stop_timer should be fixed.
>>

> Commit 884 should do that.

Sorry for replying late: nope, this has no influence on our issue.

Well, someone put that damn piece of hardware on my desk, saying: "It
doesn't work." What he did not say is that there are multiple issues
contained :-/. I found and fixed (patch will follow) a severe bug in the
16550A driver, but the strange timer issue stays (though it's still
tricky to reproduce).

The point is - and that's likely why your patch doesn't help - that we
do not stop the system timer, i.e. unload all skins. We just terminate
an application. I did some research but failed to find a test case (only
our software "manages" to trigger this). Actually, it seems the hardware
timer is no longer working, because also other RT-tasks no longer time
out. Moreover, I checked nkpod->htimer.status, but it remains 0 all the
time. I need more time...