Yes indeed; we actually intend to implement some interaction protocols between
the processor and an FPGA as realtime tasks for cryptographic operations. We
therefore try to have some minimal overhead.
Right now, we focus on the iMX21 proc. and since we're bound to some industrial
projects,
we won't have much time to have a look at other archs, although we are, of
course, very
interested in getting some feedback on other archs and we're ready to provide
some help as much as we can.
We stay in touch :-) (i look forward to having further details about your
micro-optimisation
approach in the user space; at the moment, we mainly work RT tasks in the
kernel space for architectural reasons,
but migrating the code to a more convenient execution environment in the user
space definitively retains our attention).

By the way, I have a student who will work on an extension of LTTng (Linux
trace toolkit) in order to support Xenomai, in the context of his diploma work.
Examining the RT traces, filtering events, tracking RT activities in
user/kernel space, detecting priority inversions, etc. are some interesting
topics we're promoting in our Institute. Any ideas/suggestions about features
and extensions to improve such visualization tools are also welcome :-) (we
will publish everything as soon as we have some substantial results, but the
student work is mainly on the second half of the Year at Montreal to the
originator's premises).

Daniel