Jan Kiszka wrote:

Besides this, we then may want to consider if introducing a pending
ownership of synch objects is worthwhile to improve efficiency of PIP
users. Not critical, but if it comes at a reasonable price... Will try
to draft something.

I've committed an implementation of this stuff to the trunk, tested on your testcase over the simulator. So far, it's ok. The only thing that should change downstream compared to the previous behaviour is that xnsynch_sleep_on() might unblock immediately at skin level without any xnsynch_wakeup_sleeper() calls being previously invoked, since the blocking call does the stealing during the pending ownership window.

This means that skins now _must_ fix their internal state when unblocked from xnsynch_sleep_on() if they happen to track their own resource owner field for instance, since they might become the owner of such resource without any unlock/release/whatever routine being called at the said skin level. I've fixed a couple of skins for that purpose (not checked RTDM btw), but it would be safer if you could double-check the impact of such change on the interfaces you've crafted.

This change only affects PIP-enabled synchronization objects in a reasonably limited manner and seems to behave properly, but please, give this code hell on your side too.