Hi,

while I originally only wanted to add timer abstraction to RTDM, I now
have patch series for xntimer pending on my box pushing this layer
closer to hrtimer.

But before posting it for discussion (needs further testing anyway), I
have two questions regarding some minor though not totally uninteresting
optimisation possibilities:

1. Is calling xntimer_start() with value=XN_INFINITE a real use case?
   It's not documented explicitly. The effect of such an invocation
   looks a bit like xntimer_stop(), but I didn't find a real caller so
   far to asses it's relevance.

   If it is not used and could rather be declared illegal, we could safe
   the related code in the do_timer_start handlers.

2. rthal_timer_program_shot() uses explicit rthal_local_irq_save_hw on
   ia64 and i386. Given the head optimisation, IRQs should already be
   disabled when calling this service. So, can this IRQ masking be made
   depending on !CONFIG_XENO_OPT_PIPELINE_HEAD?

   ARM uses an additional lock as well, but it's hidden inside the ipipe
   patch and is likely required to remain independent of the caller's
   properties.