Hi Yann,

short on time, short answer:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> [...]
> acknowledgement function of the specific AT91RM9200 irq chip... which
> disables the
> corresponding irq line on the interrupt controller. I have seen that the
> call to the ack function has been removed from the do_level_IRQ...which
> seems coherent.
> The irq line is then reenabled on the interrupt controller when
> do_level_IRQ is called from the Linux domain.
>
> However, on the AT91RM9200 irq chip, we need to do a write to a special
> register to indicate the end of the current interrupt handling (allowing
> the controller
> to reassert the cpu irq line if needed). This special write is handled by
> irq_finish function. I though it had been the role of __ipipe_handle_irq to
> call irq_finish. But the call
> is done in asm_do_IRQ which I think is only called when running an irq of
> the linux domain...
> It could explain why my kernel freeze, doesn't it ?
>
> Can anyone tell me if I'm totally wrong, or give me just a summary of how
> irqs are normally handled between adeos domain and the irq controller ?
>

>>> At this time, I have an adeos/xenomai patched kernel which freezes when
>>> launching the idle process... and I 'm a bit lost !?!
>>> Probably something wrong with the interrupt timer handling...
>>> I'd like to continue to work on xenomai port to AT91RM9200 but I need
>>> support from people with good knowledge of adeos internals... or a good
>>> documentation starting point on adeos internal.
>>>
>>> I currently stopped working on xenomai/adeos to study ingo molnar
>>> patches...
>> Ah, I just remembered your thread on LKML. Then you may know that the
>> problem is the same with PREEMPT_RT. Thomas pointed out the only
>> solution: Write stubs to manage shared non-RT IRQ sources in RT context
>> (in PREEMPT_RT terms: create SA_NODELAY stubs for the otherwise threaded
>> drivers).
>>
>> This problem pops up quite regularly, here is my standard reference for
>> a realisation of such a stub. It actually worked once over RTAI:
>>
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/xenomai-core@gna.org/msg01797.html
>> (grab the idea, not the API from this code)
>>
>> The way I would go today: register a real-time IRQ handler for the
>> non-RT driver, silence the IRQ source in that handler (switch off IRQ
>> generation for the particular piece of hardware), save any required
>> information, and issue a soft-IRQ to the Linux domain. Attach the Linux
>> IRQ handler to the soft-IRQ then. In that handler, you could pick up the
>> reasons for the suppressed IRQ, handle it as usual and re-enable the IRQ
>> generation by the hardware. This way, the influence on the RT part
>> remains bounded.
>>
>> The reason why this never made it into some real-time Linux variant:
>> it's too-hardware specific, there is not much you can do in the OS to
>> help solving this issue.
>>

> Well, I have not enough knowledge to appreciate your solution...

The topic is fairly complex, we pulled hairs earlier. ;)

> I though about some kind of irq line demultiplexing in the low level
> function
> in order to avoid irq line sharing. The idea was to change __ipipe_grab_irq
> to demultiplex
> each peripheral sharing the line and modifying the irq value send to
> __ipipe_handle_irq in order
> to have each peripheral a unique irq number...

As long as your IRQ sources share the same *physical* line, this will
buy you nothing. The hardware of all involved devices has to release the
IRQ line first in order to re-enable it. Otherwise, you will die in IRQ
storms. That's at least true for level-triggered IRQs (I haven't checked
a scenario with edge-triggering hardware yet).