>> Philippe Gerum wrote:

>>> Good point. Here is an updated patch.
>>>

>> Nope that's not the point I meant. I was referring to bugs like the
>> missing smp_processor_id patch in asm-i386/mmu_context.h. Your way makes
>> such problems disappear once you switch on the debugger. Remember that
>> we spotted the mmu_context issue via kgdb.
>>

> Got it now. Indeed, making such kind of bugs disappear would be a very
> undesirable side-effect of enabling KGDB.
>
>> The attached kgdb-ipipe patch (which also updates to kgdb-CVS head)
>> addresses maintenance and smp-safeness by redefining the involved
>> services only per source file, not kernel-wide. What's do you think
>> about this approach?
>>

> Mixed feelings. On one hand, it locally fixes the issue without masking
> any bugs and that's good. On the other hand, I've been bitten using this
> kind of tricks in earlier Adeos releases for patching printk() the same
> way, substituting it with spin_lock_irqsave_hw. At some point,
> spin_lock_irqsave became local_irq_save + spin_lock in the vanilla code,
> making the substitution of the former pointless, and opening a
> preemption hole in the code. This said, no spinlock macros are involved
> in the substitution you are suggesting, so there is no such risk, and in
> any case, the risk is confined to one file and not spread all over the
> place like with the raw_smp_processor_id() substitution. IOW, let's go
> your way.

I agree that it's kind of fragile, but we need to check on kgdb updates
anyway. I hope for kgdb becoming mainline one day. Then the code should
stabilise (if it hasn't already), and we can track it via ipipe directly
- without tricks. So far, this should help to keep efforts lower for us.

> While we are at it,
> #define current ipipe_safe_current() /* ? */

Nope, there is the need for some special changes.