Philippe Gerum wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 14:42 +0200, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
>> Philippe Gerum wrote:
>>  > >  o A further improvement should be achievable for scenarios 4 and 5 by
>>  > >    introducing absolute xntimers (more precisely: a flag to
>>  > >    differentiate between the mode on xntimer_start). I have an outdated
>>  > >    patch for this in my repos, needs re-basing.
>>  > >
>>  >
>>  > Grmblm... Well, I would have preferred that we don't add that kind of
>>  > complexity to the nucleus interface, but I must admit that some
>>  > important use cases are definitely better served by absolute timespecs,
>>  > so I would surrender to this requirement, provided the implementation is
>>  > confined to xnpod_suspend_thread() + xntimer_start().
>>
>> It would be nice if absolute timeouts were also available when using
>> xnsynch_sleep_on. There are a few use cases in the POSIX skin.
>
> Makes sense, since xnpod_suspend_thread() and xnsynch_sleep_on() are
> tightly integrated interfaces.

Anyone any idea how to extend both function interfaces best to
differentiate absolute/relative timeouts? I guess we need an additional
argument to the functions, don't we?

I had the weird idea of using the sign bit of the timeout value for
this. But the potential side effects of halving the absolute time domain
this way scares me.