I cc'ed the list.

> Probably the only sane way (at least as I can see now) to implement
> xnintr_irq_proc() safely for non-shared case is also to make use of
> nklock + irq off (as it should be synched wrt the primary domain) and
> then the same should be done in xnintr_attach/detach(). In non shared
> case, these 2 ones are safe wrt each other as both are directly mapped
> on ipipe_virtualize_irq(). So nklock is only required for the safe
> synch wrt xnintr_irq_proc() and that's something I don't like.

Well, the major issue I'd see is about calling sprintf() within the
superlock protection, which makes me a bit nervous latency-wise, but I
don't see any other solution right now.

btw, all primitives of the native skin make use of sprintf() in __primitive_read_proc().

e.g.

the impact of __mutex_read_proc() can be much higher than of xnintr_irq_proc() with the same approach. Basically it's O(N) where N is a number of names to be printed. And a worst case situation for __mutex_read_proc [ when a number of blocked threads (__mutex_read_proc) > a number of registered IRQ handlers on the same line (xnintr_irq_proc) ] is much likely to happen.

In case of strings, e.g.

__mutex_read_proc :

p += sprintf(p, "+%s\n", xnthread_name(sleeper));

(similar in xnintr_irq_proc())

we could do

*(p++) = '+';
p += our_strcpy(p, some_name);

char *our_strcpy(char *dest, const char *src)
{
        char *tmp = dest;

        while ((*dest++ = *src++) != '\0')
                /* nothing */;
        return dest - tmp;
}

it's different from standard strcpy() in the way that it returns a number of written symbols and that's what we need here to update "p".

There is also standard strlcpy() but it

first calls (1) strlen() and then (2) memove() which is seemingly less optimal but OTOH both (1) and (2) are normally available in CPU-optimized variants. So I don't want to speculate which one is better, tests would reveal.

vsnprintf(), which is called by snprintf() consumes about 1,5 kb of code on my machine.

So ok, it's lickely less cache friendly (cache-friendly? de-ja-vu indeed :) but maybe it's not that important here as a linux application (e.g. cat /proc/xenomai/something) that calls it likely disturbed the cache already quite a lot.
Pure execution time vs. e.g. our_strcpy() should be likely longer so we may win something indeed.

Any thoughts?

Best regards,
Dmitry Adamushko