Philippe Gerum wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 20:13 +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> here comes a patch series for an idea I have in mind for quite some
>> time: break up the nucleus heap layer so that it can support different
>> allocation schemes. Motivated was this idea by the great TLSF allocator
>> by Miguel Masmano et al.
>>
>> I once played with TLSF in userspace as a malloc replacement for RT
>> apps, and I wondered if we shouldn't make use of it as well in the
>> nucleus. It's most beautiful property is its strict O(1) complexity in
>> my eyes, but it seems to provide even more qualities: less
>> fragmentation, less overhead, maybe even better performance.
>>
>> I haven't done any thorough analysis on those advantages (I'm counting
>> on Miguel and others to prove them ;) ), only stability tests over the
>> last weeks and a simple comparisons of the overhead. With 8 user-space
>> tasks, a few mutexes, 8 RTDM sockets, and likely some other stuff
>> allocated I get e.g. these usage numbers:
>
>> bsdalloc:
>> size=524288:used=17720:pagesz=512
>>
>> tlsfalloc:
>> size=524288:used=14036:pagesz=512
>>

> I'm ok to merge different allocators - and the needed infrastructure to
> support that - provided having several of them actually buys us
> something significant, maybe depending on some usage patterns. Actually,
> I once made the basic assumption that the BSDish heap could fulfill any
> kind of allocation requirements for all the use cases we should care
> about; maybe I was wrong, in which case, we should discuss of the
> particular issue of introducing an abstract layer to support several
> allocators. If the assumption remains unchallenged, then we don't need
> to abstract this, and the issue boils down to whether we should switch
> to TLSF or keep BSD.
>
> This also means that we first need real figures for practical use cases
> comparing BSD and TLSF, before going any step further (at least internal
> and external fragmentation values, allocation and deallocation
> worst-case for bulks of contiguous and discontiguous blocks from various
> sizes, and anything else you may find relevant). At that point, we could
> decide whether we should provide both over the abstract infrastructure,
> simply replace BSD with TLSF, or keep the status quo.

I agree that we definitely need numbers. And I could imagine that TLSF
turns out to be the better choice in most, if not all categories.

But given the situation that a) TLSF is not yet a full BSD replacement
due to the known shortcomings (missing 64 bit, no extensible heaps)
while b) we want to test it against real Xenomai load, I think that
having such switching infrastructure even just for one or two versions
is the most effective way. Maintaining a patch just to allow testing
would be a pain and would not attract further users beyond the core team.