As once discussed with Heikki, and after a first missed attempt, here
is a patch for x86 which attempts to cope correctly with Linux (non
real-time) drivers using FPU in kernel-space.

I tested it on my laptop without drivers using FPU, and it appears to
work correctly, but it would be nice if people that had problems with
the previous attempt (if I remember correctly, on old pentiums and on
AMD processors) could test this patch.

Just fired up on a Pentium MMX which used to have problems with the
first approad. Switchtest reports no problems.

What about writing a simple test case for the non-RT in-kernel FPU usage?

I plan to add it to the switchtest driver, but I wanted to make sure
that the new support already works in the usual case.

                                                 Gilles Chanteperdrix