Hi Philippe,

I'm currently porting RTDM over Linux with the real-time preemption patch (RTDM-native) and I have a first prototype running and can send and receive CAN messages with RT-Socket-CAN. Time to speak about code (re-)organisation and integration into Xenomai. I briefly discussed this issue with Jan and here is my proposal:

- the RTDM-native implementation goes to:

    ksrc/skins/rtdm/native/
    include/rtdm/rtdm_driver-native.h

  rtdm_driver-native.h will be included by rtdm_driver.h depending on
  CONFIG_IPIPE. A similar code organization could be chosen for
  RTDM-cosched.

- a modified version of prepare_kernel.sh adds the RTDM-native files
  as symbolic links to the kernel tree depending on CONFIG_IPIPE and
  CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT:

    include/rtdm/ -> include/xenomai/rtdm/
    ksrc/skins/rtdm/native/ -> kernel/xenomai/rtdm/native/
    ksrc/drivers/ -> drivers/xenomai/

- The idea is to keep the RTDM-native implementation in a separate
  branch and merge it sometime later (with Xenomai 3.x?).

What do you think? Does it match with your ideas of Xenomai over -rt?

Thanks.

Wolfgang.