Wolfgang Grandegger wrote:
> Jan Kiszka wrote:
>> Wolfgang Grandegger wrote:

>>> You missed
>>>
>>>     /* Set dummy state for following call */
>>>     dev->state = CAN_STATE_ACTIVE;
>>>     /* Enter reset mode */
>>>     rtcan_sja_mode_stop(dev, NULL);
>>>
>>> in the init part of rtcan_sja1000.c and rtcan_mscan.c, ...

>>> ... which is missing in rtcan_virt.c. I already thought moving it to the
>>> common part. The attached patch fixes that.
>>
>> I'm still not happy with this pattern, at least it's hidden from the
>> drivers now. But do not rtcan_sja1000.c and rtcan_mscan.c require some
>> changes as well to avoid double destruction when this happens in generic
>> code from now on?
>
> Well, what needs a better implementaion is the code fragment shown above
> but I don't have a quick solution at hand. Therefore I tend to the
> attached patch.

>>> As I see it, Sebastian's trick saves code and synchronization.
>>
>> Well, we are discussing a single test here. Or doesn't dev->state hold
>> the require information as well. Moreover, the existing pattern was easy
>> to get wrong between core and driver.
>
> We speak about adding:
>
>  if (!CAN_STATE_OPERATING(dev->state)) {
>     if (dev->state == CAN_STATE_SLEEPING)
>         return-ECOMM;
>     else
>         return-ENETDOWN;
>  }
>
> before calling rtdm_sem_timeddown().

I thought about this issue again and found the reason for my vague bad
feeling: re-init is not atomic, thus racy. But also the test+sem_init
pattern I suggested is not save.

I guess we need to enhance rtdm_XXX_init in this regard to make the
RT-CAN use case an officially allowed one. /me is planning to spend more
thoughts on this the next days.