Jan Kiszka wrote:
> Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
>>Jan Kiszka wrote:
>>>a few changes of the RTDM layer were committed to trunk recently. They
>>>make handling of RTDM file descriptors more handy:
>>> o rt_dev_close/POSIX-close now polls as long as the underlying device
>>>   reports -EAGAIN. No more looping inside the application is required.
>>>   This applies to the usual non-RT invocation of close, the corner
>>>   case "close from RT context" can still return EAGAIN.
>>> o Automatic cleanup of open file descriptors has been implemented. This
>>>   is not yet the perfect design (*), but a straightforward approach to
>>>   ease the cleanup after application crashes or other unexpected
>>>   terminations.
>>>The code is still young, so testers are welcome.
>>>(*) Actually, I would like to see generic per-process file descriptor
>>>tables one day, used by both the POSIX and the RTDM skin. The FD table
>>>should be obtained via xnshadow_ppd_get().
>>I agree for the file descriptor table, but I do not see why it should be
>>bound to xnshadow_ppd_get. The file descriptor table could be
>>implemented in an object like fashion, where the caller is responsible
>>to pass the same pointer to the creation, use and desctruction routines.
> But where to get this pointer from when I enter, say, rtdm_ioctl on
> behalf of some process? The caller just passes an integer, the file
> descriptor.

Yes, the pointer would be obtained via xnshadow_ppd_get, but it does not
have to be built-in the nucleus, this can be done by the skins.

>>This would allow, for example, to have a descriptor table for
>>kernel-space threads. Another feature that would be interesting for the
> I don't see the need to offer kernel threads private fd tables. They can
> perfectly continue to use a common, then kernel-only table. There are
> too few of those threads, and there is no clear concept of a process
> boundary in kernel space.

I mean having one descriptor table for the kernel space as a whole, but
the kernel space descriptor table does not have to be of a different
type from the user-space descriptor tables.

>>posix skin would be to have a callback called at process fork time in
>>order to duplicate the fd table.
> Ack. IIRC, this callback could also serve to solve the only consistency
> issue of the ipipe_get_ptd() approach.
>> But first this requires
>>>lock-less xnshadow_ppd_get() based on ipipe_get_ptd() to keep the
>>>overhead limited. Yet another story.
>>xnshadow_ppd_get is already lockless, usual callers have to hold the
>>nklock for other reasons anyway.
> OK, depends on the POV :). Mine is that the related RTDM services do not
> hold nklock and will never have to. Moreover, there is no need for
> locking design-wise, because per-process data cannot vanish under the
> caller unless the caller vanishes. The need currently only comes from
> the hashing-based lookup (reminds me of the WCET issues kernel futexes
> have...).

I have to have a closer look at the code. But you are right, since the
ppd cannot vanish under our feet, maybe is it possible to call
xnshadow_ppd_get without holding the nklock at all. We "only" have to
suppose that the lists manipulation routines will never set the list to
an inconsistent state.

Something else that I would like is that the fd table be bound to the
nucleus registry. This would allow to factor the registry implementation.

                                                 Gilles Chanteperdrix