>> Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:

>>> I agree for the file descriptor table, but I do not see why it should be
>>> bound to xnshadow_ppd_get. The file descriptor table could be
>>> implemented in an object like fashion, where the caller is responsible
>>> to pass the same pointer to the creation, use and desctruction routines.
>>
>> But where to get this pointer from when I enter, say, rtdm_ioctl on
>> behalf of some process? The caller just passes an integer, the file
>> descriptor.
>
> Yes, the pointer would be obtained via xnshadow_ppd_get, but it does not
> have to be built-in the nucleus, this can be done by the skins.
>

>>> This would allow, for example, to have a descriptor table for
>>> kernel-space threads. Another feature that would be interesting for the
>>
>> I don't see the need to offer kernel threads private fd tables. They can
>> perfectly continue to use a common, then kernel-only table. There are
>> too few of those threads, and there is no clear concept of a process
>> boundary in kernel space.
>
> I mean having one descriptor table for the kernel space as a whole, but
> the kernel space descriptor table does not have to be of a different
> type from the user-space descriptor tables.
>

>>> posix skin would be to have a callback called at process fork time in
>>> order to duplicate the fd table.
>>
>> Ack. IIRC, this callback could also serve to solve the only consistency
>> issue of the ipipe_get_ptd() approach.
>>

>>> But first this requires

>>> xnshadow_ppd_get is already lockless, usual callers have to hold the
>>> nklock for other reasons anyway.
>>>

>> OK, depends on the POV :). Mine is that the related RTDM services do not
>> hold nklock and will never have to. Moreover, there is no need for
>> locking design-wise, because per-process data cannot vanish under the
>> caller unless the caller vanishes. The need currently only comes from
>> the hashing-based lookup (reminds me of the WCET issues kernel futexes
>> have...).
>
> I have to have a closer look at the code. But you are right, since the
> ppd cannot vanish under our feet, maybe is it possible to call
> xnshadow_ppd_get without holding the nklock at all. We "only" have to
> suppose that the lists manipulation routines will never set the list to
> an inconsistent state.

As long as process A's ppd can take a place in the same list as process
B's one, you need locking (or RCU :-/). That's my point about the hash
chain approach.

I can only advertise the idea again to maintain the ppd pointers as an
I-pipe task_struct key. On fork/clone, you just have to make sure that
the child either gets a copy of the parent's pointer when it will share
the mm, or its key is NULL'ified, or automatic Xenomai skin binding is
triggered to generate in a new ppd.

> Something else that I would like is that the fd table be bound to the
> nucleus registry. This would allow to factor the registry implementation.

Ack, that's what I had in mind as well. We need to make this fd table
stuff a generic service, maybe even the foundation of any object
descriptor in user-space.