Hi Jan,

Jan Kiszka wrote:
Wolfgang Grandegger wrote:
Hi Jan,

currently the RT-Socket-CAN drivers maintains it's own version or
release number. As RT-Socket-CAN is part of Xenomai, I do not see the
need for it (and so far I did not update it). What is the intended use
of "driver_version" in "struct rtdm_device"?

Actually, I was thinking about this too yesterday. The idea of the
separate versioning for RTDM drivers is to signal the users if something
in the driver really changed. It's fairly obvious what to do with it for
out-of-tree drivers, but for in-tree it might be worth considering the
policy.

The current model, maintained more or less properly for the existing
drivers, is to increment independently of Xenomai according to major or
minor changes. One may ease this burden for the driver developer by
simply filling in Xenomai's version here. That would just let the
revisions increase on every Xenomai release, even if the driver remained
untouched. The tag would still have a meaning for out-of-tree drivers,
but for in-tree it would be fairly meaningless.

Well, whatever is commonly preferred, it should then be applied
consistently on all RTDM drivers in Xenomai. What are the opinions on
this list (I will comment afterwards)?

OK, no other opinions so far. Then let's keep the current versioning scheme. I'm going to boost the RT-Socket-CAN version number to 0.90.0 with the next commit and to 1.0.0 for the next official release (2.4.x?).

Wolfgang.