On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 20:32 +0000, Paul wrote:
> Hi Philippe
>
> On Tuesday 13 March 2007 16:30, Philippe Gerum wrote:
> > > A question for the project admins: Do you have a Release Manager to
> > > coordinate package releases ?
> >
> > I'm currently coordinating the Xenomai releases, with input from the
> > sub-systems/architecture maintainers. I guess that by "package", you are
> > referring to another division of the work, though.
>
> By "package", I mean binaries in the form of *.deb and/or *.rpm - Whilst I'm
> happy to build and host i386/x86 Debian packages, I'm concerned about
> treading on someone's toes without a discussion about revision numbers and
> general policy about "official" releases.

So far, we don't have an established policy for making distro-oriented
packages; a few people have contributed some of them from time to time,
but there is no "appointed" maintainer doing sustained work for the
project on this issue yet.

>  For example, the packages I've
> built to date have used 2.3.50 even although a tarball of that version hasn't
> been released.. That could well cause confusion for users and yourself if
> bugs are reported. There is also a minor problem with keeping the
> debian/changelog in sync.
>
>  One possible answer is for me to rebuild my repository from scratch and
> append the SVN revision number to revision number so that we end up with
> 2.3.50-1~r2289 - This would allow an official 2.3.50-1 release to override
> the ~r2289 revision..

It would be saner to use the commit number indeed, especially since it
allows decouple the package versioning from the source releases while
keeping a reference to a common history of changes.

Some information about the current naming scheme I'm using for tagging
the intermediate development milestones:

1- when reopened after a major version X.Y has been rolled out, the
development branch (i.e. SVN trunk/) is always tagged as X.Y.50. There
is no X.Y.51 version and beyond; the next step is always to enter the
release candidate cycle when appropriate.

2- when the development branch enters the release candidate cycle, this
tag is bumped to X.Y.90 for -rc1, X.Y.91 for -rc2 and so on.

3- a release candidate that goes final is eventually tagged as X.{Y
+1}.O, and the development cycle restarts at step 1.