Philippe Gerum wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 19:49 +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>> Philippe Gerum wrote:
>>> In the light of what I have just written, you would only cause useless
>>> wakeups doing so.
>> My question was if the test for "useless" was really race-safe on SMP.
>> Then we could introduce it again in the APC handler. Otherwise, it might
>> be safer to live with some degree of uselessness.
>>

> This test is only a hint; the real problem if any would happen in the
> wakeup routine. As a matter of fact, moving the wakeup call to the APC
> would open a SMP issue, since we would have no guarantee that the target
> task did not exit in the meantime on another CPU. The current
> implementation prevents this by grabbing the nklock in the taskexit
> hook, which means that once somebody is running the Xenomai deletion
> hook on any CPU, no shadow task can exit on another one, so this has the
> same effect as holding a task reference lock Linux-wise (albeit a bit
> massive). We need to work a bit more on this issue.

Mmm.

>>> What do you have in mind precisely?
>> Preemptibility whenever having all things in a single atomic region
>> doesn't buy us much. Even if rpi_pop per se might not be heavy, adding
>> it to an already complex path doesn't improve things.
>>
>> So my spontaneous idea was, as you said the rest _must_ be atomic, if
>> that piece couldn't be actually moved into the task deletion service and
>> the task_exit Linux hook, ie. before taking the nklock again and do the
>> final reschedule. Just an example for what might be improvable - once we
>> dig here again.
>>

> You don't want to run rpi_pop() after the bulk of xnpod_delete_thread()

Not after, I meant before. But then...

> has run for the same thread, and you don't want a preemption to occur
> anytime between the thread deletion and the update of the RPI state that
> still refers to it. You might try moving the call to rpi_pop() to the
> prologue of both routines instead of waiting for the deletion hook to do
> it, but this would introduce a priority issue in the do_taskexit_event
> callout, since we might have lowered the root priority in rpi_pop() and
> be switched out in the middle of the deletion process. Unless we hold
> the nklock all time long, that is. Back to square #1, I'm afraid.

...there might be other issues, OK.

So we might need some reference counter for the xnthread object so that
the last user actually frees it and some flags to check what jobs remain
to be done for cleanup.

>>> I don't see it this way. This code is very specific, in the sense it
>>> lays on the inter-domain boundary between Linux and Xenomai's primary
>>> mode for a critical operation like thread deletion, this is what make
>>> things a bit confusing. What's below and above this layer has to be as
>>> seamless as possible, this code in particular can't.
>> Well, we could move the memory release of the shadow thread in Linux
>> context e.g. (release on idle, a bit like RCU - uuuh).
>
> This is basically what Gilles did in a recent patch to fix some treading
> on freed memory, by releasing the shadow TCB through
> xnheap_schedule_free(). I think we should have a look at the removal
> from registry operations now.

Look, we now have xnheap_schedule_free, next we a need kind of
xnregistery_schedule_free - that's my point, provide a generic platform
for all these things. More may follow (for new kind of skins eg.).