>>  This
>> is a widely orthogonal issue, so please let us come back to my original
>> point.
>>

> The original proposal suggests an ad hoc solution for a specific class
> of tracing needs (code flow analysis with low temporal invasiveness)
> (*).
>
> I suggest that we _also_ take the time to think ahead, about a common
> infrastructure which would host the basic, well-supported tools people
> need to debug Xenomai applications. It is always possible to work around
> temporal invasiveness by simulating external input, there are a few
> techniques that work pretty well for that purpose, people working with a
> co-design approach are doing that all the time. But before this, it
> would be great that the code one relies on does not include silly or
> less silly basic coding issues. Valgrind is such a framework defining a
> possible infrastructure.
>
> To sum up, I'm going to follow your work on usystrace to see where it
> leads us, even if I'm not happy with its potential impact on the code.
> Whether it gets eventually merged or not really depends on that aspect.

I'm also in favour of a less invasive approach as sketched earlier.

> At the same time, or at least in a reasonable future, we should REALLY
> think about making Xenomai Valgrind-compatible, so that we could cover
> the rest of the needs for debug tools. This is something I might pick
> when my TODO list shortens, if nobody did it before.

Well, nothing is impossible given unlimited resources. I'm just slightly
sceptical about the impact of some Xeno-Valgrind on the target and the
related side-effects. Ugly things also depend on timing, and simulating
the environment accurately is often a full project of its own. Hmm, ok,
we could help users a bit by collecting and later on replaying events
and I/O data at standardised interfaces (IPC mechanisms, standard RTDM
devices, etc.). We could then smartly combine Valgrind with the
simulator to control timing precisely. Still _a lot_ of work...

> (*) You could avoid passing the function name in the systrace calls, by
> relying on the value of __FUNCTION__, with a small hack to trimm the
> __wrap_ prefix when needed. Making tracepoints less hairy would ease my
> pain reading this stuff.

OK, but let's not spend brain cycles on this until we know if and how we
can separate the entry/exit tracing from the traced service. If we could
leave existing lib code untouched, I would be happier as well.