Hi,

I'm moving this thread to xenomai-core as I have some implementation idea...

Fillod Stephane wrote:
> I think Johan was not asking to disable the mlockall, but to allow some.
> non-root user to be able to do it. He found his solution anyway, which
> is worth an entry in the FAQ.
>
> Since it is going to be a FAQ for those people in embedded business,
> some
> tricks to allow non-root operation of mlockall, SCHED_FIFO, etc., would
> be
> useful. For example, you may hack the commoncap in linux/security/,
> or a better solution would be to rely on realtime-lsm[1][2], thanks to
> the audio folks.
>
> [1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/realtime-lsm/
> [2] http://lwn.net/Articles/110346/

I think we could and should incorporate such a feature into the nucleus.

There is already code in xnshadow_map playing with cap_effective, but
that happens too late. Instead, we should establish a group-based access
control just like rt-lsm (the other knobs of that module are either
irrelevant for Xenomai (mlock=0) or broken security-wise (any=1)) and
raise the required caps for a process that belongs to the specified
group, likely when an Xenomai interface gets attached by that process.

Comments? Volunteer coders...?