Richard Cochran wrote:
> I know that this is a bit off topic, yet perhaps some on this list
> have interest or knowledge in this area. I am also posting this idea
> to the linux-arm-kernel list.
> I would like to implement the ARM FCSE under Linux, using the Intel
> IXP425 board. Before I start, I would like to ask:
> 1. Has any work already been done in this area?

Yes, we at emlix evaluate the feasibility of porting the FASS patch to a
modern 2.6 kernel in the context of a customer project. It is far more work
than expected because central MM implementations both ARM-specific and
Linux-general have changed since the 2.4 days. What we have done is to take
the FASS patch and tried to make it work with the 2.6 line rather than
implementing the concepts from scratch. So far, we are able to compile a
FASS-patched 2.6.21 kernel but it fails when trying to start init. We expect
a huge amount of bugs hiding inside the code yet. No wonder, we are still in
the middle of the work. I would call the code far from being releasable but
before you also begin to do the work we have already performed it is
reasonable to post our current status.

We consider to set up a git repository so that you and all interested people
will be able to clone from it. If anyone feels prepared to contribute code to
this project we either can provide write access to the repository or do it
the Linus' way (i.e. we would pull from others' repositories), whichever is

Dipl.-Ing. Sebastian Smolorz, emlix GmbH,
Fon +49 551 30664-0, Fax -11, Bahnhofsallee 1b, 37081 Göttingen, Germany
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Uwe Kracke, Dr. Cord Seele, Ust-IdNr.: DE 205 198 055
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Göttingen, Amtsgericht Göttingen HR B 3160

emlix - your embedded linux partner